Health Information Specialist
- Medical Records
- Job ID
- Full Time
Responsible to organize and manage health information/patient health record data. Ensures quality, accuracy, accessibility and security of both paper and electronic health record systems. Uses various classification systems to code, categorize, manage, audit and secure patient information to support reimbursement, manage databases/registries and to maintain patients’ medical and treatment histories. Provides day to day operational supervision of site based medical records clerks.
- Compile, process, archive and maintain patient health records in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal and regulatory requirements
- Protects the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained in paper and electronic formats.
- Release information to persons or agencies according to regulations.
- Process, store and retrieve admission and discharge electronic health information according to policies.
- Participate in order distribution, tracking, assessing and archiving functions as requested.
- Assist in resolution or clarification of missing or unclear documentation by consulting with doctors, clinicians or others and/or by participating in team meetings.
- Process and prepare business or government forms as assigned.
- Assist in training other staff in medical record and documentation standards.
- Assists in ensuring correct key attributes (i.e. start of care dates, certification dates, recertification date spans, face to face encounter dates) and work lists are managed and addressed.
- Responsible for completion of audits and reporting related to health information and billing as assigned.
- Review and audit records for completeness, accuracy and compliance to regulations.
- Assure Agency compliance with all federal and state laws as well as adhering to Corporate Compliance policy in the prevention of fraud and abuse.
- Ability to read/write and communicate in English.
- Previous switchboard experience critical.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function well in very busy situations.
- Responsible and reliable.
- Good organization skills.