Whether you’re recovering from an injury, illness or surgery, the recuperation process can sometimes mean learning how to reduce your pain, regain strength and safely complete daily tasks again. Physical therapy is care that aims to ease pain, build strength and help you function, move, and live better.
The physical therapists at Home Health VNA work with you using a variety of techniques and a wide range of services such as exercise and massage, as well therapy treatments designed to meet your goals. They also teach the patient and/or caregiver in the care and use of wheelchairs, braces, crutches and other medical equipment.
Here are some ways physical therapy may help you:
- Improve Mobility and Reduce Pain. If you’re having trouble standing, walking or moving — physical therapy can help. Therapists customize care plans that can restore muscle and joint function, reducing pain and improving mobility.
- Manage Diabetes and Vascular Conditions. If you have diabetes, physical therapy can help you control your blood sugar through exercise. Diabetes may also cause a person to lose sensation in their feet and legs. Physical therapists can help you to regain sensation and prevent further complications.
- Improve Balance and Prevent Falls. If you have fallen or are at high risk for falls, therapists will provide exercises that will help you improve coordination, balance and problems stemming from the vestibular system.
- Manage Age-related Issues. Osteoporosis and arthritis are common ailments for elders. Physical therapy can help you recover from joint pain, joint replacement surgery as well as manage these conditions.
- Manage Heart and Lung Conditions. After suffering a heart attack or having surgery you may need physical therapy to regain strength and daily function. If you are coping with a pulmonary condition, physical therapy can help improve breathing and clear fluid from your lungs.
The physical therapists of Home Health VNA work hard to help patients regain and maintain their quality of life. If you think physical therapy at home can help you, speak with your doctor or health care provider about a referral to Home Health VNA.